Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Who's recipe are you using?

I was recently awakened to my own incompetence (that needs to happen to everyone once and a while). It was during a pep talk from my up line. We were pushing her to tell us what we were doing wrong. We had been fighting to make this business work, and we wanted to know where we should put our troops.

I am a pretty calculated individual. I check the fridge for milk and eggs before making cookies. I measure out all of my ingredients carefully, I ensure the oven is preheated to the proper temperature before I put in a single dollop on the pan. I'm a planner. A slightly paranoid planner, but a planner nonetheless. I like to have my keys in my hand when I shut a car door. I like having money in the bank.

As an entrepreneur, you can't always have money in the bank. I am currently planning a trip to Salt Lake City for the International convention for our company USANA. I'll be investing HUNDREDS of dollars into this trip, driving 30 hours, for an investment. An investment in myself.

You see she told us that instead of working so hard on the business, we should work on ourselves and the business will come. We should stop doing what WE do. Look at the successful people in our company, and do what THEY did. Not that we should stop being us, but that we should focus on US, and where we WANT to go, and GO there instead of being here.

So I look in the fridge, have eggs, have milk, flour, sugar, chocolate chips etc... I pull down my cookie bowl, and pull out my recipe. I start making cookies. Blast it! They turned out the same as they did before. More milk, more eggs, More flour, ect.. this time I change the temperature of the oven... Different but still not what I want. I could keep doing this time and time and time again. Sure eventually I might stumble upon the perfect blend. But wouldn't it be easier, instead of randomly changing my recipe... to try a different recipe. Wow, I like those cookies. Can I have the recipe? Their answer will be yes, I will show you how to be successful in this business. Go to convention, and read these books.

No comments: